Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can a candidate who has complete his education from an open school/university apply for civil examination?
Ans. Yes, provided it is a recognized university and he/she posses the educational qualification prescribed for the exam and is otherwise eligible.
2. What is the number of vacancies in civil services for which the examination is conducted every year by UPSC?
Ans. The number of vacancies is reported by UPSC/MPPSC in its advertisement/notification for the exam. The number of vacancies varies every year, the number of vacancies per year in the last 4 year has varied between 500-700.
3. How many attempts does one get to crack the civil services examination?
Ans. Number of attempt for UPSC is- GEN. – 06 OBC – 09 SC/ST – Unlimited There is no restriction on number of attempt for All Category in MPPSC.
4. What is eligibility criterion for civil services?
Ans. The candidates who want to appear for the UPSC & MPPSC civil services examination must have a graduation degree in any subject from any recognized university. The age limit varies depending on the category of the applicant.
5. Does medium make difference is a one’s selection in UPSC?
Ans. UPSC has given a choice of attempting the examination in both English as well as Hindi medium, so there cannot be any bias based upon this. There are so many success stories of candidates with Hindi Medium scoring top ranks. It's the content, analysis, logical conclusions in the candidate's answers that make a difference, not the medium. A Hindi medium candidate has equal chances of success as his/ her English counterpart.
6. What are the optional subject which students can choose?
Ans. Students have to choose any one optional subject from a list of the 26 optional subject. Student can also optional literature subject as an optional as mention in 8th schedules in Indian constitution .
7. When is the UPSC final result declared?
Ans. This is computed on the basis of the total marks scored by candidates in main examination (1750) and personality test or interview (275). The final result declared in April. Final ranking and service allocation is based on the combined marks scored in mains examination and interview and on the preferences given by the candidates at the time of filling up of the main examination application form.
8. What is the eligibility appears for this examination?
Ans. Candidates must be at least 21 years old on the 1st of August of the year in which they aspire to give the Exam and must hold a graduation degree (recognized by University Grants Commission) to appear for this Examination. Indian students holding a foreign degree need to ensure that their degree is accredited or recognized by UGC.